[SciPy-Dev] Enhancements to scipy.spatial.cKDTree

Patrick Varilly patvarilly@gmail....
Wed Jul 11 17:26:55 CDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Sturla Molden <sturla@molden.no> wrote:

At least cKDTree have to be fixed, it will break as soon as the move to
> PyArray_DATA is mandatory.
>
> Preferably we should use Cython memoryviews and multidimensional arrays
> in the code, instead of just C pointer artithmetics (which is harder to
> understand). That will make the Cython code more readable to NumPy users.
>
> The GIL issue should also be fixed, as searching might take a while.

I'm relatively new to Cython.  Could you tell me where I could read up on
these issues?

I don't have time to do this now, but I might in the summer vacation.

I'm nearly done porting most of KDTree to cKDTree (only count_neighbors to
go), and could contribute to this clean-up when you have the time.

> Preferably I'd like to see KDTree inherit from cKDTree.
>

> (I have numerous versions of cKDTree on my computer, including one that
> works with Python lists and a multithreaded versions.)

This sounds very interesting, and I'm sure many people would benefit from
incorporating some of these things (especially multithreading) and thus
having easy access to a high-performance cKDTree.

Patrick