[SciPy-Dev] SciPy.org Website Move and Redesign

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Wed Jul 25 16:59:29 CDT 2012

Kyle Mandli <kyle.mandli <at> gmail.com> writes:
[clip]
> 1) Mailing lists - Leave these as there's a lot of content there
> and we are worried about losing history and users if we even
> attempted to move this (plus we don't have a good alternative).

Mailing lists are going to be needed. They don't necessarily need to
be hosted on the current scipy.org machine, but it's probably best not to
touch what has been working reliably.

> 2) Scipy.org (and numpy.org) - Move the content to a repository under the
> Scipy organization on github that would contain a sphinx representation
> of the content that people can make pull requests to. There would be
> another repository that the built content would then be pushed to and
> that github would show as the website. David Warde-Farley has made
> an attempt at converting many of the scipy pages over to sphinx but it
> was never used (https://github.com/dwf/scipy-website). I noticed there
> were a few attempts at this a while ago (> 2 years).

Note that the scipy.github.com site is up with a Git repo set up at
https://github.com/scipy/scipy.org-new/
Similarly, numpy.scipy.org site has already moved to Github.

I would see these repos as the central point for any further work.
David's work is not merged there, but it could be merged (where
applicable --- some of the content in scipy.org is outdated).

> 3) Trac Projects - Numpy is in the process (or so we thought)
[clip]

I think the trac projects are a separate issue --- web site redesign
can either precede or come after what is done with Trac.

IMO, one of the first steps to do is to design a website layout
skeleton that can be used appropriately on scipy.org, and daughter
sites, docs.scipy.org, scipy-central.org, etc. This does not have
to be in Sphinx format at first, just plain HTML+whatever, it's easy
to hack in later. It also doesn't have to be great, but it does have
to exist, and one has to think a bit about how and where to put the
navigation tools.

The amount of relevant "official" content on scipy.org is actually
not very big, I think.

The main issue is more on what to do with the Cookbook/Topical software
sections, which in my opinion are not very well-suited to a
Sphinx-generated static site. Why this hasn't moved forwards is
probably largely due to not reaching a decision on what actually
to do with this material.

The current best bet as a replacement (apart from keeping these in Moin)
would probably be scipy-central.org --- which I'm sure would also benefit
greatly from additional love. Enthusiastic Django-capable people might be
interested to take a look at improving it.

--
Pauli Virtanen