[SciPy-Dev] Procedure for new code submission (pyHHT)

Alan G Isaac alan.isaac@gmail....
Fri Jun 8 09:40:55 CDT 2012

On 6/8/2012 10:20 AM, Stuart Mumford wrote:
> What are the restiructions on use? Preseumably you can use it for
> acedemic purposes etc.?

Welcome to the ongoing US effort to stifle knowledge creation:
http://www.invention-protection.com/ip/publications/docs/Can_Academic_Experimental_Use_Survive.html

Note that in the US we have a single constitutional justification for
patents
and copyright: that they **promote progress**.  Our patent system has
been in serious violation of this since Warren Burger wrote Diamond vs.
Chakrabarty:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_v._Chakrabarty
One reason that open source software is so absolutely critical in this
environment is that it provides a well documented history of "prior art".

Alan Isaac