[SciPy-Dev] Procedure for new code submission (pyHHT)

Jaidev Deshpande deshpande.jaidev@gmail....
Fri Jun 8 14:39:34 CDT 2012

Hi,

I agree that HHT should remain isolated for the moment. When it
matures, the community can decide where it should reside.

As for the IPR status of the HHT, I want to share the reply Dr Norden
Huang gave when I asked him about it.

"The NASA patent covers only the US.  You are free to do whatever outside US
territory as long as you do not make money in the US.  Go ahead with your
project, and good luck."

Now, I would assume that this exempts research based on the HHT from
the IPR regulations, even in the US. A lot of people have been doing
it for almost a decade now, and many were Americans. And I don't think
anyone pays or gets paid for using the HHT algorithms for academic
purposes. And anyhow, there are many implementations of HHT on
matlabcentral.com, there are freely available R packages too.

Also, scipy.signal itself has a long way to go before we can include
something like HHT.

Regards,