[SciPy-Dev] [Probe] How amongst you are pro devs working for scipy ?

Paul Kuin npkuin@gmail....
Sat Jun 9 10:26:27 CDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 3:38 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM, David Kremer <david.kremer.dk@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 09/06/2012 14:56, Jason Grout wrote:
>> > Does it?   For example, a college professor might work on scipy as part
>> > of his job in order to add needed functionality.  Do they count as a
>> > professional developer, even if they don't code for a living?
>> >
>> > A person that writes code for a living might work on scipy in his spare
>> > time.  Does that make them not a professional developer of scipy?
>> >
>> > A person might be unemployed, and so work a lot on scipy, as much as a
>> > regular job.  Does that make them a "professional" or a "hobbyist"?
>>
>> I don't mean to oppose professional developer and hobbyist, actually my
>> question would rather related to a curiosity about where come from the
>> scipy base code ? I know that scientists are working on it, but
>> honestly, it seems to me such a great piece of work that I would be
>> astonished if absolutely no company was involved directly in the scipy
>> code.
>

> Most of scipy code has been contributed by volunteers. Some paid programmers
> often contribute bug fixes or new features.
>
> Scipy is used by private companies as well (geophysics, finance, etc…)

There is a rich heritage of software in different languages that was
developed over the years, some algorithms date back from before
computers were machines (yes there once were people having a job as a
computer).  I think of scipy mainly as a handy collection of the most
frequently used tools, and do follow this list mainly to learn about
new approaches and changes since I use Scipy.  It does not make sense
to divide up who did what or if this was done for free or paid for by
someone. That is not how free/open software development works. It is
more 'organic' than that, the best stuff eventually gets in, and gets
improved upon, or gets discarded.  It is like asking about how London
came about. Yes there is some organization, but it is like laying the
roads down, not the whole of it.

  Paul