[SciPy-Dev] Python bindings for KLU

Nathaniel Smith njs@pobox....
Sat Mar 17 15:36:33 CDT 2012

On Mar 17, 2012 5:21 PM, "Richard Lincoln" <r.w.lincoln@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello SciPy-Dev,

Hi Richard,

> I am working on a distribution system simulator in Python.  I would
> like to use KLU to solve sparse sets of complex linear equations.
>
> http://www.cise.ufl.edu/research/sparse/klu/
>
> What would you recommend I use to create Python bindings for this C
> library?  I don't have any experience with this and there seem to be
> several options available.  If you could point me towards any good
> examples of similar bindings, that too would be very greatly
> appreciated.

I'd suggest using Cython for bindings, and taking a look at scikits.sparse:
  https://code.google.com/p/scikits-sparse/

It has quite complete Cython bindings for CHOLMOD:
  http://packages.python.org/scikits.sparse/cholmod.html
  https://code.google.com/p/scikits-sparse/source/browse/scikits/sparse/cholmod.pyx

Not only does this give an example of using Cython to work with sparse
matrices and Tim Davis' code, there's a fair amount of infrastructure
that can probably be re-used -- I believe that KLU relies on CHOLMOD's
data structures for basic sparse matrix tasks. If you'd like to
contribute your work to scikits.sparse, then we can factor this out
into shared code.

Cheers,
-- Nathaniel