[SciPy-Dev] module maintainers

Mon Mar 19 15:34:15 CDT 2012

Hi all,

In the recent "Scipy Goal" thread I proposed to find maintainers for each
of the Scipy modules, an idea that I got positive feedback on from a number
of people. Having maintainers (or "module owners", or some similar title)
could improve a few things:

- the feeling of "ownership" of particular pieces of code (and hence less
unmaintained code).
- the responsiveness to tickets and questions on the mailing list.
- the number of developers actively working on Scipy.
- enabling current developers to focus more on fewer parts of Scipy.
- having one or a couple of people able to declare PRs ready to be merged
(or not).

One thing that would also be very useful is to have a document where the
maintainer(s) can keep a short assessment of the status of the module and
future directions up to date. There are regularly threads on the list about
missing functionality and changes that could be made in the future, and
currently those just get lost most of the time. Such an overview would also
be very helpful for users and potential new contributors.

I've created a draft document with a list of maintainers and status (the
latter mostly empty) per module:
https://github.com/rgommers/scipy/blob/maintainers/doc/MAINTAINERS.rst.txt.
I've already checked with a number of people who I know are either the
de-facto current maintainer or the original author of a module; the names
you see in the draft are those that already responded that they would like
to be listed (one of) the maintainer(s).

Let me know what you think!

Ralf