[SciPy-Dev] module maintainers

Vincent Davis vincent@vincentdavis....
Mon Mar 19 18:00:05 CDT 2012

Nice, maybe each status section could have links to a Trac search for;
 bugs, enhancements, ... Regarding that speccific module. Then less would
need to be maintained on this page regarding status but would be very
accessible for other to see the status.

How about a "How to help" Q/A some thing like. Q how do I help maintain a
module? A: Easy start watching the track for bugs, enhancements...

Github question, How would I monitor pull requests for a specific module? A
person may or may not have a Trac ticket or posted on the mailing list. I
have to admit that I have not yet looked at how to monitor this on Github.
I am just assuming that only those with commit rights would see the pull
request but a module maintainer would not.

Vincent.

On Monday, March 19, 2012, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In the recent "Scipy Goal" thread I proposed to find maintainers for each
of the Scipy modules, an idea that I got positive feedback on from a number
of people. Having maintainers (or "module owners", or some similar title)
could improve a few things:

> - the feeling of "ownership" of particular pieces of code (and hence less
unmaintained code).
> - the responsiveness to tickets and questions on the mailing list.
> - the number of developers actively working on Scipy.
> - enabling current developers to focus more on fewer parts of Scipy.
> - having one or a couple of people able to declare PRs ready to be merged
(or not).

> One thing that would also be very useful is to have a document where the
maintainer(s) can keep a short assessment of the status of the module and
future directions up to date. There are regularly threads on the list about
missing functionality and changes that could be made in the future, and
currently those just get lost most of the time. Such an overview would also
be very helpful for users and potential new contributors.

> I've created a draft document with a list of maintainers and status (the
latter mostly empty) per module:
https://github.com/rgommers/scipy/blob/maintainers/doc/MAINTAINERS.rst.txt.
I've already checked with a number of people who I know are either the
de-facto current maintainer or the original author of a module; the names
you see in the draft are those that already responded that they would like
to be listed (one of) the maintainer(s).

--
Thanks
Vincent Davis