[SciPy-Dev] Trac performance?

Jonathan Guyer guyer@nist....
Tue Mar 20 07:41:40 CDT 2012

On Mar 19, 2012, at 6:32 PM, Vincent Davis wrote:

> I read through the discussion from earlier this year concerning updated Trac, moving it to a new server, or to Github. I spent some time Sunday look at option to follow different subjects, bugs.... Starting with logging in most of what I did resulted in a generic database error or no results due to a database locked error. Not sure what the final consensus on the topic was. I think someone installed a github to Trac plugin, not sure what that does. Well I spent 30min on the SciPy Trac and had a bad experience.

Our Trac at matforge.org suffered massively from these database locked errors. Several months ago, our sysadmin migrated to postgresql in the hopes of correcting it, but it only seemed to change the nature of the lockups. If anything, the frequency went up.

Recently, for unrelated reasons[*], we disabled the TracDownloaderPlugin and our problems went away. Our Trac has been stable and responsive for a couple of weeks now.

[*] Actually, not completely unrelated. We disabled it because TracDownloaderPlugin has some SQL bugs that sqlite tolerates but postgresql does not.

Anyway, my point is that it would appear that the database locked errors can be significantly ameliorated by switching from sqlite to postgresql *but* you must be much more careful with Trac plugins. Many of the plugins out there seem only to have been tested with sqlite and it's much more forgiving than postgresql.