[SciPy-Dev] Python Scipy Block Diagram Editor with ACG

Tue Nov 20 15:22:03 CST 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Cera, Tim <tim@cerazone.net> wrote:

> As is, the block diagram editing is done in libre office draw and you have
>> to manually type in the functions and commands, I have
>> attached an example exported to pdf.
>

> Would anyone be willing to help with this, I have no experience developing
>> with the open source community.
>>

> I won't be able to help, except to give some information.  Found this
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/FlowBasedProgramming a long time ago which
> might be useful.  Some of the links are broken now, and some of the others
> are really old, but something there might be helpful.
>
> In general, flow based programming hasn't caught on.   I think partially
> because of reasons described in the old saying, "To hell with tradition, we
> are going to do it like we always did!"

Simulink is pretty widely used, especially for modelling and rapid
development of control software.  Equipment vendors provide blocks for
their devices, gyroscopes and such, that can be used for the models and
then Matlab will generate control code to run on the targeted system.
Simulink itself is basically a way of setting up a big system of DEs, but
what really makes it go are the vendor blocks and code generation.

Chuck