[SciPy-Dev] Bundling Boost?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Oct 7 18:58:46 CDT 2012

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 8:40 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:
> I'm not 100 % certain about the compiler support. Perhaps C++ is already
> mature enough to work across the platforms we care about.

It's worth having a good test of the compiler situation first.  I have
horrible memories a few years ago (not that long, though) of trying to
use the Boost Graph Library for a project with python wrappers, and
the Boost version this used wouldn't even compile with the newest gcc
of the current ubuntu at the time.  My only solution was to build gcc
itself from source.

So before we end up foisting upon RedHat users or similar the
requirement that to build scipy they need to rebuild their compilers
from source, which I suspect wouldn't be a very popular move, let's
find out what is the oldest version of gcc this particular part of
boost will require.

Boost is great, but it's also famous for pushing compilers very, very
far beyond their comfort zone.  So this step should not be taken
lightly.  It would also be good to know:

- does it compile with MS compilers? If so, what's the oldest version
that works?
- and what about the Intel ones?

Not trying to rain on the parade, but over the last 10 years I've
tried to use boost a few times, and every occasion has led to compiler
pain.  So I'd be cautious with putting it in as a scipy dependency.

If it turns out that this part of Boost is less sensitive to compiler
details, then great!  I'd love to be proven wrong in my paranoia
here...

Cheers,