[SciPy-Dev] Bundling Boost?

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Thu Oct 11 09:10:45 CDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 2:39 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 6:11 AM, David Warde-Farley
>> <wardefar@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> > It looks like Andreas' message didn't make it to the list, so here it
>> > is forwarded.
>> >
>> > Looks like there are a few things to learn about bundling boost, but
>> > nothing show-stopping. Of course, some of it (compiler hell) is out of
>> > our control, but "get a better compiler" is a reasonable response on
>> > most platforms (... maybe not Windows).
>>
>> Bundling all of boost is not on the table I think: we are just talking
>> about the  math stuff which look mostly like simple templates, in
>> which case most issues are not relevant. Using more boost should be a
>> different discussion.
>

> Well, I did notice more boost dependencies showing up in the include files.
> C++ libraries tend to have a lot of intertwined parts, making it difficult
> to tease out just that little bit you really want.

I guess that's what 'well designed' mean in c++ land :)

More seriously, as long as we don't use the stuff outside math/special
functions, it does not matter much (except for sdist size). And
surely, smart_ptr and co can be removed in some ways or others.

David