[SciPy-Dev] [SciPy-User] ANN: SciPy 0.11.0 release candidate 2

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Sat Sep 8 14:38:21 CDT 2012

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 1:46 PM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> What are we going to do about this one? I'm tempted to open a ticket for it
>>> and mark it as knownfail on Windows for now, since it's a corner case.
>>
>> I have noticed that windows SVD appears to give different answers from
>> repeated runs on the same matrix, differing in terms of sign flips,
>> but valid SVDs.  I've no idea why, but I had to adjust the tests in
>> our code to allow for this.
>>
>> I guess we should make sure the returned results are correct, and fail
>> otherwise.  But maybe we do not require two runs to give the same
>> answer.  Could that explain the problem?
>
> I'm only paying partial attention and not up-to-date, just a few tries:

after installing rc2 into my 2.7.1 virtualenv, I cannot replicate any
errors, also not running the singular test directly

(py27b) E:\Josef\testing\tox\py27b\Scripts>easy_install
"C:\...\scipy-0.11.0rc2-sse3.exe"

(py27b) E:\Josef\testing\tox\py27b\Scripts>python
Python 2.7.1 (r271:86832, Nov 27 2010, 18:30:46) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32
>>> import scipy
>>> scipy.__version__
'0.11.0rc2'
>>> scipy.__file__
'E:\\Josef\\testing\\tox\\py27b\\lib\\site-packages\\scipy-0.11.0rc2-py2.7-win32.egg\\scipy\\__init__.pyc'
>>> scipy.test()

Ran 5486 tests in 56.394s
OK (KNOWNFAIL=14, SKIP=42)
<nose.result.TextTestResult run=5486 errors=0 failures=0>

-------------------------
If I just unzip the superpack instead of installing the sse3, I get
only one failure

FAIL: test_basic.TestNorm.test_stable
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "E:\Josef\testing\tox\py27b\lib\site-packages\nose-1.1.2-py2.7.egg\nose\case.py",
line 197, in runTest
    self.test(*self.arg)
  File "E:\Josef\testing\tox\py27b\lib\site-packages\scipy\linalg\tests\test_basic.py",
line 592, in
test_stable
    assert_almost_equal(norm(a) - 1e4, 0.0, err_msg=msg)
  File "E:\Josef\testing\tox\py27b\lib\site-packages\numpy-1.6.2-py2.7-win32.egg\numpy\testing\utils.py",
line 468, in assert_almost_equal
    raise AssertionError(msg)
AssertionError:
Arrays are not almost equal to 7 decimals
: Result should equal either 0.0 or 0.5 (depending on implementation of snrm2).
 ACTUAL: 0.4990234375
 DESIRED: 0.0

maybe some sse incompatibilities.

(I figured out how to install scipy into a virtualenv without
installing it into my main python first.)

Josef