[SciPy-Dev] GSOC - improvements to the .sparse package advice

Izzy Cecil lorr.cecil@gmail....
Tue Apr 9 00:39:05 CDT 2013

Hey!

I'm hoping to participate in the google summer of code this year.
Specifically, improvements to scipy.sparse (as suggested by
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/wiki/SummerofCodeIdeas). I'm an
experienced coder, but have never really gotten my hands into a large
open source project before (which is exactly why GSOC appeals to me).
Scipy seems like a great fit for my interests! What's more, I have
some experience in the mathematics of sparse matrix encodings. The
plan is to have some small commits in sometime this week, to get the
hang of things.

I was wondering who would be appropriate to discus this project with,
and if there were specific things I could do now to familiarize myself
with the codebase. Any smaller bugs that could be fixed, or features
that could be added to the library? Or should I consider a different
project all together (perhaps Pythonic dtypes)? In the meantime, I'll
hunt around trac, and mess with what I can, but any and all advice
would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!