[SciPy-Dev] SciPy Central in GSoC 2013

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers@gmail....
Wed Apr 10 13:46:17 CDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM, Andreas Hilboll <lists@hilboll.de> wrote:

> Am 10.04.2013 18:56, schrieb Surya Kasturi:
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Surya Kasturi <suryak@ieee.org
> > <mailto:suryak@ieee.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Ralf Gommers
> >     <ralf.gommers@gmail.com <mailto:ralf.gommers@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >         The other thing to do is find a mentor. We have several people
> >         that indicated that they'd like to be a mentor this year, maybe
> >         one of those people is interested in SPC? Or other people on the
> >         list?
> >

> >     From the SPC repo, pv and andreas-h were having forked branches.
> >     They could possibly mentor me if interested! or maybe other people
> too
> >

> > Any updates?
>
> Hi Surya,
>
> I forked the SPC repo at some point because I wanted to play around. I
> have a good idea of what SPC might look like. However, I'm not really
> very much into django, so I'm not sure how suitable I would be as a mentor.
>
> What's a mentor supposed to do? What's his/her role? Requirements?

Hey Andreas, the role of a mentor is to help and supervise a student with
his project. There's a lot of material and advice available, so that may
give a better answer than I can provide here. See for example
http://www.booki.cc/gsoc-mentoring/what-makes-a-good-mentor/ and the other
info under Mentoring on that page.

It does require frequent contact with the student, and therefore a
significant time commitment. To give you an idea, when I mentored for
statsmodels last year I had a one-hour Skype call every weekend and email
contact much more frequently with George.

It would be great if you would be interested in mentoring or co-mentoring.
Helping out with code review, design discussions etc. without being a
mentor is of course also very helpful.

Cheers,
Ralf