[SciPy-Dev] Sparse matrices

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers@gmail....
Sat Apr 13 15:38:51 CDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 4:36 PM, Daniel Smith <smith.daniel.br@gmail.com>wrote:

> Recently, I did some work expanding the LIL matrix class to support
> fancy indexing. I did some looking this morning into potentially
> expanding the other sparse matrix classes the same way. However, given
> that such things have been suggested for GSoC, I don't want to step on
> anyone's toes. I can move on to something else if that is recommended.

Hi Daniel, good question. I think that yes, a GSoC project focused on
improving sparse matrices and interaction with numpy would be great. But I
also think there's more than enough to do in scipy.sparse, certainly more
than fits in a single GSoC project. So if Izzy or someone else successfully
applies for that GSoC project, I don't see an issue in you working on this
topic but an opportunity to move forward even faster.

Furthermore GSoC doesn't start till 2 months from now, and the application
process is competitive. And the reason this topic was suggested was because
it's important. So by all means, go for it I'd say.

Cheers,
Ralf