[SciPy-Dev] Adding an unformatted Fortran file reader to Scipy

Paul Kuin npkuin@gmail....
Mon Apr 15 05:18:43 CDT 2013

My recollection is, that the unformatted fortran files are machine
specific, so cannot be moved to different architectures. I suppose that
should be flagged somehow. Of course portability was the reason for
developing HDF, CDF and FITS. A converter might be useful. The main reason
for using unformatted data files is of course speed. For that reason just
having a reader is kind of anomalous. I suppose someone might want to write
an unformatted file for reading into a fortran program - which needs a
writer. I guess this could be added when needed.

Cheers,

  Paul

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There's a PR adding an unformatted Fortran file reader to Scipy:
>
>     https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/499
>
> This looks good to us, and will probably be merged shortly.
>
> If you have experience with reading unformatted Fortran files, and
> something seems to be missing, now would be a good time to point out
> what should still be added.
>
> --
> Pauli Virtanen

* * * * * * * * http://www.mssl.ucl.ac.uk/~npmk/ * * * *
Dr. N.P.M. Kuin      (n.kuin@ucl.ac.uk)
phone +44-(0)1483 (prefix) -204927 (work) -276110 (home)
mobile +44(0)7806985366  skype ID: npkuin
Mullard Space Science Laboratory  – University College London  –
Holmbury St Mary – Dorking – Surrey RH5 6NT–  U.K.