[SciPy-Dev] SciPy Central in GSoC 2013

Andreas Hilboll lists@hilboll...
Sun Apr 28 02:49:38 CDT 2013

>> 2. Integrating with Content Management System
>
> While this is nice, I think we should try to focus. What I would think
> is more important for SPC would be a IPython Notebook integration. Like
> having a "download notebook" link for each item.

I think we need to try and figure out the data model for submissions.
I'll use the term "item" for submissions. Some questions:

1. What is an item?
2. Are there different categories of items?  -> code snippets, links, ?
   a. What are the characteristics of the category?
3. Do we want SPC to be a sort-of "catalog" of the scientific Python
   world? So that there could be entries (maybe realized as 'link') for
   all the great modules out there.
4. Do we want every user to be able to modify an item? This is where
   using a CMS as base might be helpful.
   a. every component of an item (including code)?
   b. only parts (e.g. tagging, but no code)?
5. How do comments fit in?

This list is by no means complete, but some parts of it are important
for the GSoC project. For example, we need to know how an item looks
like before you can implement notebook conversion / rendering.

To summarize, I am in favor of having a clear picture of what we want
SPC to be before we actually start too far down a road which might lead
to a dead end.

Any ideas are welcome!

BTW: Is this discussion annoying to the developers of "real" SciPy?
Should we move somewhere else?

--
-- Andreas.