[SciPy-Dev] SciPy Central in GSoC 2013

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Sun Apr 28 06:04:11 CDT 2013

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 3:49 AM, Andreas Hilboll <lists@hilboll.de> wrote:
>>> 2. Integrating with Content Management System
>>
>> While this is nice, I think we should try to focus. What I would think
>> is more important for SPC would be a IPython Notebook integration. Like
>> having a "download notebook" link for each item.
>
> I think we need to try and figure out the data model for submissions.
> I'll use the term "item" for submissions. Some questions:
>
> 1. What is an item?
> 2. Are there different categories of items?  -> code snippets, links, ?
>    a. What are the characteristics of the category?
> 3. Do we want SPC to be a sort-of "catalog" of the scientific Python
>    world? So that there could be entries (maybe realized as 'link') for
>    all the great modules out there.
> 4. Do we want every user to be able to modify an item? This is where
>    using a CMS as base might be helpful.
>    a. every component of an item (including code)?
>    b. only parts (e.g. tagging, but no code)?
> 5. How do comments fit in?
>
> This list is by no means complete, but some parts of it are important
> for the GSoC project. For example, we need to know how an item looks
> like before you can implement notebook conversion / rendering.
>
> To summarize, I am in favor of having a clear picture of what we want
> SPC to be before we actually start too far down a road which might lead
> to a dead end.
>
> Any ideas are welcome!

One question that needs to be addressed in some form are
"administrators" for the content.
How do we flag and remove spam, advertising, ...

I guess it will need at least some community support in keeping
scipy-central "clean"

> BTW: Is this discussion annoying to the developers of "real" SciPy?
> Should we move somewhere else?

I think it's fine to keep the discussion here for now, it will be a
scipy GSOC project after all.

Josef