[SciPy-Dev] Contributing to the Documentation

Juan Luis Cano juanlu001@gmail....
Fri Aug 2 10:33:46 CDT 2013

On 08/01/2013 11:29 PM, Ralf Gommers wrote:
> Not a huge amount, but still regular edits (thanks mainly to Tim Cera)
> adding up to 1000s of words for every release. The wiki also has some
> advantages if you'd want to edit larger amounts of docs, like a system
> to indicate if a docstring is draft / for review / reviewed, and the
> option to render a page (helps to fix formatting issues). But yes,
> overall I'd still prefer PRs over wiki edits.

To try things out, I just edited a file with the GitHub interface. I
copy here what I commented in the PR:

"""
I used the GitHub edition interface, and I can swear it's damn easy to
use. I just:

 1. clicked "Edit",
 2. a nice text editor popped,
 3. I made my edits,
 4. created the commit message,
 5. clicked "propose file change",
 6. and finally "Click to create a pull request for this comparison"

"""

I suggest encouraging this method over the documentation wiki or, at
least, keeping both. There might be people that won't create a GitHub
account to contribute some little edits, but I don't know how the team
would want to handle this in the long term.

Juan Luis