[SciPy-Dev] cubature license

Saullo Castro saullogiovani@gmail....
Sat Aug 24 03:43:45 CDT 2013


@Alex,

you are right, "it uses some GPL code from other projects (Hintlib and GSL).
"

But is it really impossible to include it in SciPy because of that?

Saullo

2013/8/24 <scipy-dev-request@scipy.org>

> Send SciPy-Dev mailing list submissions to
>         scipy-dev@scipy.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-dev
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         scipy-dev-request@scipy.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         scipy-dev-owner@scipy.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of SciPy-Dev digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: SciPy-Dev Digest, Vol 118, Issue 32 (Saullo Castro)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 10:39:03 +0200
> From: Saullo Castro <saullogiovani@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [SciPy-Dev] SciPy-Dev Digest, Vol 118, Issue 32
> To: Scipy-Dev <scipy-dev@scipy.org>
> Message-ID:
>         <CAHbwRz50dGBAp50xPXvcG+HV=
> XQotXJFdU0YqQQdbTMNLru8_Q@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Dear all,
>
> I already contacted Steven Johnson about this matter and he told me
> that "relicensing
> the Cubature code is not feasible", but he agrees on including this in
> SciPy if the SciPy community agrees to include a GNU GPL licensed software
> there.
>
> Otherwise I will probably create a separate Python package for it, ideally
> with a pip installer, as suggested by him.
>
> Greetings,
> Saullo
>
>
> 2013/8/24 <scipy-dev-request@scipy.org>
>
> > Send SciPy-Dev mailing list submissions to
> >         scipy-dev@scipy.org
> >
> > To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> >         http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-dev
> > or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> >         scipy-dev-request@scipy.org
> >
> > You can reach the person managing the list at
> >         scipy-dev-owner@scipy.org
> >
> > When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> > than "Re: Contents of SciPy-Dev digest..."
> >
> >
> > Today's Topics:
> >
> >    1. cubature license (alex)
> >    2. Re: cubature license (Matt Redmond)
> >    3. Re: cubature license (alex)
> >    4. Re: cubature license (Charles R Harris)
> >    5. Re: ANN: Scipy 0.13.0 beta 1 release (Jack Howarth)
> >    6. Re: SciPy-Dev Digest, Vol 118, Issue 31 (Saullo Castro)
> >
> >
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 1
> > Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 13:20:19 -0400
> > From: alex <argriffi@ncsu.edu>
> > Subject: [SciPy-Dev] cubature license
> > To: scipy-dev@scipy.org
> > Message-ID:
> >         <CAE5GFc+F+gxTctEcJLxO_wRadVLOE=
> > o0XGDEVNy0hb0qu0ip0g@mail.gmail.com>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> >
> > I noticed on the mailing list that someone wants to put cubature into
> > scipy.  You will need to ask Steven Johnson before this can happen
> > because scipy is licensed in a way that does not allow it to accept
> > GPL code.  Actually now that I read more, this will probably not
> > happen anyway because cubature itself depends on multiple GPL-licensed
> > codes.
> > http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/2013-August/thread.html
> > http://ab-initio.mit.edu/wiki/index.php/Cubature
> >
> > Alex
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 2
> > Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 11:18:09 -0700
> > From: Matt Redmond <mrdmnd@mit.edu>
> > Subject: Re: [SciPy-Dev] cubature license
> > To: SciPy Developers List <scipy-dev@scipy.org>
> > Message-ID:
> >         <
> > CABTWFhGzjRPgDRmc5Q3csTAiN3yLMk8H6qP_Rvxo15RPRNo0Mg@mail.gmail.com>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> >
> > I took a number of his classes at MIT, and I'm fairly sure he'd be on
> board
> > with this usage. He seemed pretty supportive of SciPy.
> >
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Matt Redmond <mttrdmnd@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > I'll ask him - I took his classes at MIT and I'm fairly sure he'd be
> okay
> > > with this.
> > >
> > >
> > > On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 10:20 AM, alex <argriffi@ncsu.edu> wrote:
> > >
> > >> I noticed on the mailing list that someone wants to put cubature into
> > >> scipy.  You will need to ask Steven Johnson before this can happen
> > >> because scipy is licensed in a way that does not allow it to accept
> > >> GPL code.  Actually now that I read more, this will probably not
> > >> happen anyway because cubature itself depends on multiple GPL-licensed
> > >> codes.
> > >> http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/2013-August/thread.html
> > >> http://ab-initio.mit.edu/wiki/index.php/Cubature
> > >>
> > >> Alex
> > >> _______________________________________________
> > >> SciPy-Dev mailing list
> > >> SciPy-Dev@scipy.org
> > >> http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-dev
> > >>
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > Matthew Redmond
> > > Massachusetts Institute of Technology
> > > Department of Mathematics, Course 18C
> > > Class of 2013
> > >
> > -------------- next part --------------
> > An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> > URL:
> >
> http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/attachments/20130823/c51a46f9/attachment-0001.html
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 3
> > Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 14:27:45 -0400
> > From: alex <argriffi@ncsu.edu>
> > Subject: Re: [SciPy-Dev] cubature license
> > To: SciPy Developers List <scipy-dev@scipy.org>
> > Message-ID:
> >         <
> > CAE5GFcJdW_4iW5Fbqe+7uAhGO2nMmN2+aDxTJSsz9DubFDeAeA@mail.gmail.com>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Matt Redmond <mrdmnd@mit.edu> wrote:
> > > I took a number of his classes at MIT, and I'm fairly sure he'd be on
> > board
> > > with this usage. He seemed pretty supportive of SciPy.
> > >
> > >
> > > On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Matt Redmond <mttrdmnd@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >>
> > >> I'll ask him - I took his classes at MIT and I'm fairly sure he'd be
> > okay
> > >> with this.
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 10:20 AM, alex <argriffi@ncsu.edu> wrote:
> > >>>
> > >>> I noticed on the mailing list that someone wants to put cubature into
> > >>> scipy.  You will need to ask Steven Johnson before this can happen
> > >>> because scipy is licensed in a way that does not allow it to accept
> > >>> GPL code.  Actually now that I read more, this will probably not
> > >>> happen anyway because cubature itself depends on multiple
> GPL-licensed
> > >>> codes.
> > >>> http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/2013-August/thread.html
> > >>> http://ab-initio.mit.edu/wiki/index.php/Cubature
> > >>>
> > >>> Alex
> > >>> _______________________________________________
> > >>> SciPy-Dev mailing list
> > >>> SciPy-Dev@scipy.org
> > >>> http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-dev
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> --
> > >> Matthew Redmond
> > >> Massachusetts Institute of Technology
> > >> Department of Mathematics, Course 18C
> > >> Class of 2013
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > SciPy-Dev mailing list
> > > SciPy-Dev@scipy.org
> > > http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-dev
> > >
> >
> > Even if he would personally be on board with this usage, the following
> > bit makes it complicated.
> >
> > "Our code is based in part on code borrowed from the HIntLib
> > numeric-integration library by Rudolf Sch?rer and from code for
> > Gauss-Kronrod quadrature (for 1d integrals) from the GNU Scientific
> > Library, both of which are free software under the GNU GPL."
> >
> > Alex
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 4
> > Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 13:09:15 -0600
> > From: Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: [SciPy-Dev] cubature license
> > To: SciPy Developers List <scipy-dev@scipy.org>
> > Message-ID:
> >         <CAB6mnxKaknribvOT7U8qGLnt_sfXpXkvVZKbviksqHH1U=
> > NFQA@mail.gmail.com>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> >
> > Ah, memories. It might not be too hard to replace the Gauss-Kronrad
> > quadrature, it was the first algorithm I implemented on a 80186 3MHz PC
> > back in the days when Microsoft offered a Fortran compiler ;) I don't
> know
> > about the rest of the dependencies.
> >
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 12:27 PM, alex <argriffi@ncsu.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Matt Redmond <mrdmnd@mit.edu> wrote:
> > > > I took a number of his classes at MIT, and I'm fairly sure he'd be on
> > > board
> > > > with this usage. He seemed pretty supportive of SciPy.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Matt Redmond <mttrdmnd@gmail.com>
> > > wrote:
> > > >>
> > > >> I'll ask him - I took his classes at MIT and I'm fairly sure he'd be
> > > okay
> > > >> with this.
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >> On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 10:20 AM, alex <argriffi@ncsu.edu> wrote:
> > > >>>
> > > >>> I noticed on the mailing list that someone wants to put cubature
> into
> > > >>> scipy.  You will need to ask Steven Johnson before this can happen
> > > >>> because scipy is licensed in a way that does not allow it to accept
> > > >>> GPL code.  Actually now that I read more, this will probably not
> > > >>> happen anyway because cubature itself depends on multiple
> > GPL-licensed
> > > >>> codes.
> > > >>> http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/2013-August/thread.html
> > > >>> http://ab-initio.mit.edu/wiki/index.php/Cubature
> > > >>>
> > > >>> Alex
> > > >>> _______________________________________________
> > > >>> SciPy-Dev mailing list
> > > >>> SciPy-Dev@scipy.org
> > > >>> http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-dev
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >> --
> > > >> Matthew Redmond
> > > >> Massachusetts Institute of Technology
> > > >> Department of Mathematics, Course 18C
> > > >> Class of 2013
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > SciPy-Dev mailing list
> > > > SciPy-Dev@scipy.org
> > > > http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-dev
> > > >
> > >
> > > Even if he would personally be on board with this usage, the following
> > > bit makes it complicated.
> > >
> > > "Our code is based in part on code borrowed from the HIntLib
> > > numeric-integration library by Rudolf Sch?rer and from code for
> > > Gauss-Kronrod quadrature (for 1d integrals) from the GNU Scientific
> > > Library, both of which are free software under the GNU GPL."
> > >
> > > Alex
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > SciPy-Dev mailing list
> > > SciPy-Dev@scipy.org
> > > http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-dev
> > >
> > -------------- next part --------------
> > An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> > URL:
> >
> http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/attachments/20130823/efc1ee20/attachment-0001.html
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 5
> > Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 19:58:31 -0400
> > From: Jack Howarth <howarth@bromo.med.uc.edu>
> > Subject: Re: [SciPy-Dev] ANN: Scipy 0.13.0 beta 1 release
> > To: SciPy Developers List <scipy-dev@scipy.org>
> > Message-ID: <20130823235831.GA6527@bromo.med.uc.edu>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 03:12:21PM +0200, Ralf Gommers wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I'm happy to announce the availability of the first beta release of
> Scipy
> > > 0.13.0. Please try this beta and report any issues on the scipy-dev
> > mailing
> > > list.
> > >
> > > Source tarballs and release notes can be found at
> > > https://sourceforge.net/projects/scipy/files/scipy/0.13.0b1/. Windows
> > and
> > > OS X installers will follow later (we have a minor infrastructure issue
> > to
> > > solve, and I'm at EuroScipy now).
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Ralf
> >
> > Ralf,
> >    FYI, if the proposed elimination of support for the Accelerate
> > framework on
> > darwin was implemented in scipy 0.13, you will definietely want to
> > consider reverting that
> > change. It appears that the issues in the Accelerate framework (at least
> as
> > tested with scipy 0.12.0) are resolved in the next darwin release...
> >
> > Ran 6134 tests in 88.016s
> >
> > OK (KNOWNFAIL=15, SKIP=36)
> >
> > compared to darwin12...
> >
> > Ran 6134 tests in 96.886s
> >
> > FAILED (KNOWNFAIL=15, SKIP=36, failures=63)
> >
> > and darwin11...
> >
> > Ran 6134 tests in 118.346s
> >
> > FAILED (KNOWNFAIL=15, SKIP=36, failures=65)
> >
> >              Jack
> > ps I have looked at the proposed replacement of using openblas and it is
> > rather suboptimal. Please
> > don't inflict that on us.
> >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > SciPy-Dev mailing list
> > > SciPy-Dev@scipy.org
> > > http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-dev
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 6
> > Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 10:29:12 +0200
> > From: Saullo Castro <saullogiovani@gmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: [SciPy-Dev] SciPy-Dev Digest, Vol 118, Issue 31
> > To: Scipy-Dev <scipy-dev@scipy.org>
> > Message-ID:
> >         <CAHbwRz4ihS6YzevgPdDZ131=
> > QgOrSRjJBjRn1t8saN4L0sq-JA@mail.gmail.com>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> >
> > @Nate,
> >
> > I don't know all the details about this algorithm, but based on the tests
> > I've performed here it requires much fewer function evaluations than
> > dblquad or tplquad, since it is NOT a recursive call of 1D-integrands.
> >
> > It offers two refinement options:
> >
> > h-cubature which refines by including more integration points
> > p-cubature which refines by increasing the approximation order (better
> for
> > smooth functions)
> >
> > I will keep working on that and I hope to give you a better feedback very
> > soon. Please, see more details here:
> > http://ab-initio.mit.edu/wiki/index.php/Cubature
> >
> > Greetings,
> > Saullo
> >
> >
> > 2013/8/23 <scipy-dev-request@scipy.org>
> >
> > > Send SciPy-Dev mailing list submissions to
> > >         scipy-dev@scipy.org
> > >
> > > To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> > >         http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-dev
> > > or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> > >         scipy-dev-request@scipy.org
> > >
> > > You can reach the person managing the list at
> > >         scipy-dev-owner@scipy.org
> > >
> > > When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> > > than "Re: Contents of SciPy-Dev digest..."
> > >
> > >
> > > Today's Topics:
> > >
> > >    1. Re: Loss of precision using lsoda f2py interface or ode   class
> > >       (Joris Vankerschaver)
> > >    2. Re: Need some help to wrap the cubature package in
> > >       scipy/integrate (Nathan Woods)
> > >
> > >
> > > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >
> > > Message: 1
> > > Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 14:56:49 +0200
> > > From: Joris Vankerschaver <jvankers@gmail.com>
> > > Subject: Re: [SciPy-Dev] Loss of precision using lsoda f2py interface
> > >         or ode  class
> > > To: SciPy Developers List <scipy-dev@scipy.org>
> > > Message-ID: <504DC808-6E3E-436B-A936-696B51834882@gmail.com>
> > > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> > >
> > > On 23-aug-2013, at 02:15, Juan Luis Cano wrote:
> > > > I fear odeint/ode bugs are starting to pile up (gh-1567, gh-1801,
> > > > gh-1976, gh-2515, gh-2570), and as many have suggested in the past a
> > > > rewrite or redesign would be quite helpful.
> > >
> > > This may have been pointed out before, but one inconsistency that
> should
> > > be fixed in an eventual redesign is that scipy.integrate.ode expects an
> > RHS
> > > of the form `f(t, y0, ...)` whereas odeint expects an RHS with the
> first
> > > two parameters reversed, i.e. of the form `f(y0, t, ...)`. The former
> > > convention is the standard in Matlab and Sage.
> > >
> > > All the best,
> > > Joris
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ------------------------------
> > >
> > > Message: 2
> > > Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 10:22:01 -0600
> > > From: Nathan Woods <charlesnwoods@gmail.com>
> > > Subject: Re: [SciPy-Dev] Need some help to wrap the cubature package
> > >         in      scipy/integrate
> > > To: SciPy Developers List <scipy-dev@scipy.org>
> > > Message-ID: <-1837672449859755872@unknownmsgid>
> > > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> > >
> > > We just had a multidimensional integrator (nquad) wrapped into the
> latest
> > > beta version of scipy. How does cubature compare? I've been kicking
> > around
> > > the idea of improving the speed of nquad by moving more of the code to
> a
> > > compiled language. How would that compare?
> > >
> > > Nate
> > >
> > >
> > > On Aug 23, 2013, at 5:35 AM, Saullo Castro <saullogiovani@gmail.com>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > I am wrapping the Cubature package for multi-dimensional integration
> that
> > > supports vector-valued functions and offers both fixed and adaptive
> > > integration schemes.
> > >
> > > Please, see more details here:
> > > http://ab-initio.mit.edu/wiki/index.php/Cubature
> > >
> > > I've forked the scipy repository and my current attempt can be directly
> > > accessed here:
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> https://github.com/saullocastro/scipy/blob/master/scipy/integrate/_cubature.pyx
> > >
> > > When compiling the cython code I am getting the error:
> > >
> > > _cubature.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol hcubature
> > > referenced in function __pyx_pf_9_cubature_fhcubature
> > > C:\usr\scipy\scipy\integrate\_cubature.pyd : fatal error LNK1120: 1
> > > unresolved externals
> > > error: command 'link.exe' failed with exit status 1120
> > >
> > > Could you please have a look?
> > >
> > > Thank you very much!
> > > Saullo
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > SciPy-Dev mailing list
> > > SciPy-Dev@scipy.org
> > > http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-dev
> > > -------------- next part --------------
> > > An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> > > URL:
> > >
> >
> http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/attachments/20130823/70c59ad6/attachment-0001.html
> > >
> > > ------------------------------
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > SciPy-Dev mailing list
> > > SciPy-Dev@scipy.org
> > > http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-dev
> > >
> > >
> > > End of SciPy-Dev Digest, Vol 118, Issue 31
> > > ******************************************
> > >
> > -------------- next part --------------
> > An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> > URL:
> >
> http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/attachments/20130824/dbbdbb26/attachment.html
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > SciPy-Dev mailing list
> > SciPy-Dev@scipy.org
> > http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-dev
> >
> >
> > End of SciPy-Dev Digest, Vol 118, Issue 32
> > ******************************************
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/attachments/20130824/2f02c5bb/attachment.html
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> SciPy-Dev mailing list
> SciPy-Dev@scipy.org
> http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-dev
>
>
> End of SciPy-Dev Digest, Vol 118, Issue 33
> ******************************************
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/attachments/20130824/f94bc05e/attachment-0001.html 


More information about the SciPy-Dev mailing list