[SciPy-Dev] cubature license

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Sat Aug 24 09:53:10 CDT 2013

On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Warren Weckesser <
warren.weckesser@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/24/13, Saullo Castro <saullogiovani@gmail.com> wrote:
> > @Alex,
> >
> > you are right, "it uses some GPL code from other projects (Hintlib and
> > GSL).
> > "
> >
> > But is it really impossible to include it in SciPy because of that?
>
> Yes.  We do not include GPL-licensed code in SciPy.  I haven't looked
> at the Cubature code, so I don't know the extent to which it uses
> HIntLib and GSL, but based on the comment on the web page, it is
> unlikely that Steven Johnson can re-license his code with a license
> that is compatible with SciPy.  The GPL is viral that way (insert the
> usual "I am not a lawyer" disclaimer here).

It's not quite as viral as that. He can license the code that he himself
wrote under whatever license he likes as long as it is compatible with the
GPL license of the other libraries that he is combining his code with. If
the code that he wrote is separable from HIntLib and GSL by rewriting that
functionality, he can distribute his code under the BSD license for
inclusion in SciPy.

--
Robert Kern