[SciPy-Dev] cubature license (Warren Weckesser)

Saullo Castro saullogiovani@gmail....
Tue Aug 27 04:18:11 CDT 2013


Dear all,

due to the BSD and GPL licenses incompatibilities the cubature package
 will not be included in SciPy.

Steven Johnson replied explaining that the code is directly derived from
Hintlib, and GNU GSL libraries, both of which are GPL.

The wrapper is already available in GitHub and soon I will include one link
in PyPI.

https://github.com/saullocastro/cubature

if anyone is interested.

Greetings,
Saullo



2013/8/25 <scipy-dev-request@scipy.org>

> Send SciPy-Dev mailing list submissions to
>         scipy-dev@scipy.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-dev
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         scipy-dev-request@scipy.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         scipy-dev-owner@scipy.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of SciPy-Dev digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: cubature license (Warren Weckesser)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 08:01:32 -0400
> From: Warren Weckesser <warren.weckesser@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [SciPy-Dev] cubature license
> To: SciPy Developers List <scipy-dev@scipy.org>
> Message-ID:
>         <
> CAGzF1udYnngzyzjS2ezp2h3joYkzLib9jXiZSKpjSZSPz3RHhw@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> On 8/25/13, Saullo Castro <saullogiovani@gmail.com> wrote:
> > @Warren
> >
> > from the good disccusion here (
> > http://matplotlib.org/devel/license.html#license-discussion)
> > it seems that the biggest difference between the GPL and the BSD is that
> > the former requires you to distribute your source code, and the BSD
> allows
> > you to do whatever you want...
> >
> > I don't see the problem to include it in SciPy, since the source code is
> > always distributed.
>
>
> The issue is the restriction placed on anyone who wants to
> *redistribute* software that uses scipy.  For example, currently a
> third party could build and sell a commercial application that uses
> scipy without having to distribute the source code for the application
> or their modified version of scipy.   That would not be possible with
> a GPL license.
>
> More reading: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/bsdl-gpl/article.html
>
> Warren
>
>
> > Even if third part companies like Enthought are using
> > it, it is more like a module, isn't it? and the core code behind it can
> > still be BSD  based.
> >
> > Anyway, the software has a `clencurt_gen.c` stand-alone program which
> does
> > not have to be used unless the user whant a `p-adaptive` cubature with
> more
> > than 8193 points per dimension, this type of cubature applies
> > "p-refinement" (increase of interpolation function order) instead of
> > "h-refinement" (splitting the interval). I don't see a need to include
> this
> > program in the SciPy cubature. We can implement this restriction in the
> > wrapper.
> >
> > I will ask Steven Johnson about this, if removing this part could make
> > cubature re-licensable to BSD.
> >
> > Greetings!
> > Saullo
> >
> >
> > 2013/8/24 <scipy-dev-request@scipy.org>
> >
> >> Send SciPy-Dev mailing list submissions to
> >>         scipy-dev@scipy.org
> >>
> >> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> >>         http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-dev
> >> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> >>         scipy-dev-request@scipy.org
> >>
> >> You can reach the person managing the list at
> >>         scipy-dev-owner@scipy.org
> >>
> >> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> >> than "Re: Contents of SciPy-Dev digest..."
> >>
> >>
> >> Today's Topics:
> >>
> >>    1. Re: cubature license (Robert Kern)
> >>    2. Re: cubature license (Warren Weckesser)
> >>    3. Re: cubature license (Warren Weckesser)
> >>
> >>
> >> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>
> >> Message: 1
> >> Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 16:53:10 +0200
> >> From: Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com>
> >> Subject: Re: [SciPy-Dev] cubature license
> >> To: SciPy Developers List <scipy-dev@scipy.org>
> >> Message-ID:
> >>         <
> >> CAF6FJivScnjqnAZO8OJ0XZpJ48+KsC5rdOmE+5z-EWWJn7iH_g@mail.gmail.com>
> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> >>
> >> On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Warren Weckesser <
> >> warren.weckesser@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> >
> >> > On 8/24/13, Saullo Castro <saullogiovani@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> > > @Alex,
> >> > >
> >> > > you are right, "it uses some GPL code from other projects (Hintlib
> >> > > and
> >> > > GSL).
> >> > > "
> >> > >
> >> > > But is it really impossible to include it in SciPy because of that?
> >> >
> >> > Yes.  We do not include GPL-licensed code in SciPy.  I haven't looked
> >> > at the Cubature code, so I don't know the extent to which it uses
> >> > HIntLib and GSL, but based on the comment on the web page, it is
> >> > unlikely that Steven Johnson can re-license his code with a license
> >> > that is compatible with SciPy.  The GPL is viral that way (insert the
> >> > usual "I am not a lawyer" disclaimer here).
> >>
> >> It's not quite as viral as that. He can license the code that he himself
> >> wrote under whatever license he likes as long as it is compatible with
> >> the
> >> GPL license of the other libraries that he is combining his code with.
> If
> >> the code that he wrote is separable from HIntLib and GSL by rewriting
> >> that
> >> functionality, he can distribute his code under the BSD license for
> >> inclusion in SciPy.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Robert Kern
> >> -------------- next part --------------
> >> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> >> URL:
> >>
> http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/attachments/20130824/e75eadc8/attachment-0001.html
> >>
> >> ------------------------------
> >>
> >> Message: 2
> >> Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 11:04:51 -0400
> >> From: Warren Weckesser <warren.weckesser@gmail.com>
> >> Subject: Re: [SciPy-Dev] cubature license
> >> To: SciPy Developers List <scipy-dev@scipy.org>
> >> Message-ID:
> >>         <
> >> CAGzF1ufwXi4UoGeCwvBN1HCJbigGKtpYisM8KFEc9n5NAhyNtA@mail.gmail.com>
> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> >>
> >> On 8/24/13, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> > On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Warren Weckesser <
> >> > warren.weckesser@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> >>
> >> >> On 8/24/13, Saullo Castro <saullogiovani@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> >> > @Alex,
> >> >> >
> >> >> > you are right, "it uses some GPL code from other projects (Hintlib
> >> >> > and
> >> >> > GSL).
> >> >> > "
> >> >> >
> >> >> > But is it really impossible to include it in SciPy because of that?
> >> >>
> >> >> Yes.  We do not include GPL-licensed code in SciPy.  I haven't looked
> >> >> at the Cubature code, so I don't know the extent to which it uses
> >> >> HIntLib and GSL, but based on the comment on the web page, it is
> >> >> unlikely that Steven Johnson can re-license his code with a license
> >> >> that is compatible with SciPy.  The GPL is viral that way (insert the
> >> >> usual "I am not a lawyer" disclaimer here).
> >> >
> >> > It's not quite as viral as that. He can license the code that he
> >> > himself
> >> > wrote under whatever license he likes as long as it is compatible with
> >> the
> >> > GPL license of the other libraries that he is combining his code with.
> >> > If
> >> > the code that he wrote is separable from HIntLib and GSL by rewriting
> >> that
> >> > functionality, he can distribute his code under the BSD license for
> >> > inclusion in SciPy.
> >>
> >>
> >> Yes--thanks for the clarification.
> >>
> >> Warren
> >>
> >>
> >> >
> >> > --
> >> > Robert Kern
> >> >
> >>
> >>
> >> ------------------------------
> >>
> >> Message: 3
> >> Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 11:16:16 -0400
> >> From: Warren Weckesser <warren.weckesser@gmail.com>
> >> Subject: Re: [SciPy-Dev] cubature license
> >> To: SciPy Developers List <scipy-dev@scipy.org>
> >> Message-ID:
> >>         <
> >> CAGzF1uezSbAmsWNwSyfRug5tz08UA1pe7pUeeBYVE1tmykSWrw@mail.gmail.com>
> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> >>
> >> On 8/24/13, Warren Weckesser <warren.weckesser@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> > On 8/24/13, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> >> On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Warren Weckesser <
> >> >> warren.weckesser@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> >>>
> >> >>> On 8/24/13, Saullo Castro <saullogiovani@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> >>> > @Alex,
> >> >>> >
> >> >>> > you are right, "it uses some GPL code from other projects (Hintlib
> >> and
> >> >>> > GSL).
> >> >>> > "
> >> >>> >
> >> >>> > But is it really impossible to include it in SciPy because of
> that?
> >> >>>
> >> >>> Yes.  We do not include GPL-licensed code in SciPy.  I haven't
> looked
> >> >>> at the Cubature code, so I don't know the extent to which it uses
> >> >>> HIntLib and GSL, but based on the comment on the web page, it is
> >> >>> unlikely that Steven Johnson can re-license his code with a license
> >> >>> that is compatible with SciPy.  The GPL is viral that way (insert
> the
> >> >>> usual "I am not a lawyer" disclaimer here).
> >> >>
> >> >> It's not quite as viral as that. He can license the code that he
> >> >> himself
> >> >> wrote under whatever license he likes as long as it is compatible
> with
> >> >> the
> >> >> GPL license of the other libraries that he is combining his code
> with.
> >> If
> >> >> the code that he wrote is separable from HIntLib and GSL by rewriting
> >> >> that
> >> >> functionality, he can distribute his code under the BSD license for
> >> >> inclusion in SciPy.
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > Yes--thanks for the clarification.
> >> >
> >> > Warren
> >> >
> >>
> >>
> >> P.S.:  Saullo, here are a couple links to more information about
> >> compatible licenses:
> >> http://wiki.scipy.org/License_Compatibility
> >> http://matplotlib.org/devel/license.html#license-discussion (the
> >> discussion of the matplotlib license is applicable to scipy)
> >>
> >> Warren
> >>
> >> >
> >> >>
> >> >> --
> >> >> Robert Kern
> >> >>
> >> >
> >>
> >>
> >> ------------------------------
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> SciPy-Dev mailing list
> >> SciPy-Dev@scipy.org
> >> http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-dev
> >>
> >>
> >> End of SciPy-Dev Digest, Vol 118, Issue 36
> >> ******************************************
> >>
> >
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> SciPy-Dev mailing list
> SciPy-Dev@scipy.org
> http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-dev
>
>
> End of SciPy-Dev Digest, Vol 118, Issue 39
> ******************************************
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/attachments/20130827/aa5207a7/attachment-0001.html 


More information about the SciPy-Dev mailing list