[SciPy-Dev] Triangulation on sphere surface with qhull(-wrapper)

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Tue Aug 27 12:06:35 CDT 2013

Hi,

26.08.2013 23:46, Andreas Hilboll kirjoitti:
> I was wondering if qhull supports Delaunay triangulation of data on
> the unit sphere? If so, I'd like to implement an appropriate
> wrapper to have an alternative to the FITPACK-based interpolation
> on spheres. Otherwise, there's STRIPACK as an alternative, and it
> would probably be easy to wrap it (if license is compatible; so far
> I couldn't find any license info on STRIPACK). But I have a feeling
> qhull should be able to do this as well; I just couldn't figure out
> how ...

Yes (see qhull manual or for example [1]): the facets of the convex
hull of points on the N-d unit sphere correspond to the Delaunay
triangulation on the sphere in N-1 dimensions.

	Pauli

[1] http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0925772102000779