[SciPy-Dev] 2D histogram: request for plotting variable bin size

Sturla Molden sturla@molden...
Fri Feb 1 09:59:23 CST 2013

On 01.02.2013 11:36, Frank Breitling wrote:

> Thank you very much for your answer and examples. What I understand form
> them is that there is currently no simple and fast method for plotting
> 2D histograms with variable bin width.

Not, not simple and fast (unless you work with something else than
matplotlib).

> Therefore I would like to come back to my initial feature request for
> imshow. It seems to me that with an implementation of a variable bin
> width all other solutions would collapse into a one-liner providing even
> best performance. From a technical perspective I understand that the
> philosophy behind imshow is to keep it simple to maintain its high
> speed. On the other hand a smart implementation of a variable bin width
> should at most result in a small penalty at the start of the execution.

Digital images and computer screens do not have variable pixel size.
imshow plots images. The speed is a coincidence and not very relevant. A
feature request for drawing images with variable pixel size will
probably be discarded as invalid.

It sounds like you want a faster pcolor or pcolormesh. They will
probably be happy if you can help with it. A feature request for a
faster pcolor and pcolormesh might have a better chance of surviving.

Sturla