[SciPy-Dev] The New Scipy Central Home page

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers@gmail....
Sat Feb 2 06:41:27 CST 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 3:27 PM, Andreas Hilboll <lists@hilboll.de> wrote:

> > Any updates?
> >
> > Please let me know how it is? what could be added? (Firstly whether you
> > like it to put as scipy-central home page)
> >

> I think the convention on this list is to bottom-post.
>
> Well, so far it doesn't look like finished. I guess everyone is waiting
> for you to just continue, and basically show some more final result.
>
> If you ask me, I would want categories and/or tags on the front page,
> and the recently updated / most viewed / top contributors could go into
> a side panel. Also there should be some slogan / text telling the
> visitor on which kind of website she is. Like it is now, I wouldn't know
> where I am and leave again. Also, I personally don't like the black in
> combination with the quite light blue of the logo.

I quite like how the new design looks visually. Putting less different
things on it than on the current scipy-central site makes sense, especially
the tag cloud and list of contributors don't add much. I would put the name
"SciPy Central" somewhere though (on the black bar or in/next to the
logo?). Having one list of direct links to contributions that are ranked
highest (as determined by a combination of recent activity and popularity?)
under the search would be good imho.

Cheers,
Ralf