[SciPy-Dev] The New Scipy Central Home page

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Sun Feb 3 21:44:42 CST 2013

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 10:12 PM, Surya Kasturi <suryak@ieee.org> wrote:

>>> I think the convention on this list is to bottom-post.
>>>
>>> Well, so far it doesn't look like finished. I guess everyone is waiting
>>> for you to just continue, and basically show some more final result.
>>>
>>> If you ask me, I would want categories and/or tags on the front page,
>>> and the recently updated / most viewed / top contributors could go into
>>> a side panel. Also there should be some slogan / text telling the
>>> visitor on which kind of website she is. Like it is now, I wouldn't know
>>> where I am and leave again. Also, I personally don't like the black in
>>> combination with the quite light blue of the logo.
>>

>> I quite like how the new design looks visually. Putting less different
>> things on it than on the current scipy-central site makes sense, especially
>> the tag cloud and list of contributors don't add much. I would put the name
>> "SciPy Central" somewhere though (on the black bar or in/next to the logo?).
>> Having one list of direct links to contributions that are ranked highest (as
>> determined by a combination of recent activity and popularity?) under the
>> search would be good imho.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ralf
>>

> Nice! I will continue my work. Will post new updates on the list (may take 2
> weeks). Actually there are two home designs we can use
>
> 1. A clean simple home page with a search input.. of course, couple of links
> below search bar (ex: google.com)
> 2. A "modern" forum style page. We can have a search bar on the center-top
> while, the rest of the page is neatly occupied with latest/ new updates. We
> can put "tags" on the right side. I guess this should be developer friendly!
> Stackexchange sites are a good example. Also,
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums should be a nice example..
>
> (The above links have inspired me. we can actually understand what kind of
> design suites well)
>
> Actually, I am unable to decide which one to choose. So, was asking on the
> forum. May be you guys can might already have something in mind.

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/

no GOOGLE please, I would like to quickly be able to browse and get an overview.

(did you ever try to see what are new python packages on
http://code.google.com/ ?)

Josef