[SciPy-Dev] The New Scipy Central Home page

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Sun Feb 3 22:00:44 CST 2013

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 10:44 PM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 10:12 PM, Surya Kasturi <suryak@ieee.org> wrote:

>>> I quite like how the new design looks visually. Putting less different
>>> things on it than on the current scipy-central site makes sense, especially
>>> the tag cloud and list of contributors don't add much. I would put the name
>>> "SciPy Central" somewhere though (on the black bar or in/next to the logo?).
>>> Having one list of direct links to contributions that are ranked highest (as
>>> determined by a combination of recent activity and popularity?) under the
>>> search would be good imho.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Ralf
>>>

>> Nice! I will continue my work. Will post new updates on the list (may take 2
>> weeks). Actually there are two home designs we can use
>>
>> 1. A clean simple home page with a search input.. of course, couple of links
>> below search bar (ex: google.com)
>> 2. A "modern" forum style page. We can have a search bar on the center-top
>> while, the rest of the page is neatly occupied with latest/ new updates. We
>> can put "tags" on the right side. I guess this should be developer friendly!
>> Stackexchange sites are a good example. Also,
>> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums should be a nice example..
>>
>> (The above links have inspired me. we can actually understand what kind of
>> design suites well)
>>
>> Actually, I am unable to decide which one to choose. So, was asking on the
>> forum. May be you guys can might already have something in mind.
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/
>
> no GOOGLE please, I would like to quickly be able to browse and get an overview.
>
> (did you ever try to see what are new python packages on
> http://code.google.com/ ?)

to clarify: google doesn't know how to present structured data

what are the most popular (by downloads) packages on the fileexchange
that use the statistics toolbox?
http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/index?sort=downloads_desc&term=+product%3A%22Statistics+Toolbox%22

and you can check their sort-by that I'm missing mostly with google
(an administrator of google groups cannot even sort members by date.
That was bugging me a few hours ago.)

I like browsing every once in a while, and not just searching when I
already know what the animal I look for is called.
So I would prefer not to have just a big search button.

Josef