[SciPy-Dev] Scipy Central Home Page .. finally

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Fri Feb 15 06:41:34 CST 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 3:24 AM, Surya Kasturi <suryak@ieee.org> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Finally, I tried to make a Scipy Central design (home page) looking close to
> scipy.org
>
> Please take a look and let me know how it is.. what could be changed and
> all.
>
> http://ksurya.github.com/scipy-central-design/home.html
>
> Also: Few changes/ new features might be required like changing font size,
> color, background color etc..
>
> Please do comment on them too!
>
> The rest of the pages would be looking very similar to this..
>
> (Note: this was the previous version http://ksurya.github.com/scipycentral/
> .. Looks a lot like search engine and probably won't work for this site).
>

> Looking for your comments.. is this has any chance of merging into
> main-stream (of course with some small changes)

some quick impressions:

I think the layout is pretty usable, I like the tabs for recently
changed and most visited
(maybe "most visited" could be replaced by "most popular" or "most
downloaded" if we want to use download statistic instead of visits,
which might include robots as Pauli mentioned
most downloaded won't work for packages that have a link instead of
code to download)

I have problems reading low contrast headers and tags (blue on blue or
grey on grey)

I don't like blue borders much anymore, they give it a bit of
old-fashioned look.

Josef