[SciPy-Dev] Splines

Wed Feb 20 22:57:15 CST 2013

Hi All,

There have been several threads on the list about splines and consolidation
of splines. For instance, there are several uniform spline implementations
for images and signal processing, various low level functions in fitlib
that are unexposed, and perhaps useful altenatives to b-splines for some
applications like straight interpolation. For myself, I've started
implementing several functions in pure Python with an eye to converting
them to Cython once the interface and documentation is in place, mostly for
doing things that fitpack doesn't do because it is very integrated, as
opposed to supplying a basic toolset. As part of this project, I'd like to
get some feedback on which functions people use most and what features they
would like to see. I'm not interested in the high level classes at this
point, either the current classes or combo functions like fpcurf, but
rather a collection of good lower level function that could be used to
implement the higher level functions in a more flexible way.

Thoughts?

Chuck