[SciPy-Dev] scipy.signal.butter returns complex coefficients

Pierre Haessig pierre.haessig@crans....
Thu Feb 21 09:48:58 CST 2013

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your feedback !

Le 21/02/2013 00:58, Eric Moore a écrit :
> I'm not sure that the correct fix would be, perhaps signal.buttap should
> calculate the poles by calculating half of them, and then conjugating.
> Since I'd bet that the ultimate cause is that we aren't getting exact
> conjugates from the complex exponential.
That's right. I just made a quick test inspired by signal.buttap code to
check for this "non conjugate roots issue"
(https://github.com/scipy/scipy/blob/master/scipy/signal/filter_design.py#L1376)

N = 4
n = numpy.arange(1, N + 1)
p = numpy.exp(1j * (2 * n - 1) / (2.0 * N) * pi) * 1j
print(p[0])
print(p[3].conj())
print(p[0] == p[3].conj())
print(p[1])
print(p[2].conj())
print(p[1] == p[2].conj())

gives :
(-0.382683432365+0.923879532511j)
(-0.382683432365+0.923879532511j)
False
(-0.923879532511+0.382683432365j)
(-0.923879532511+0.382683432365j)
False

Roots are indeed conjugate at about 1e-16 but the equality check in
np.poly is an exact check.

Now, it may be possible to write signal.buttap in a bit more complex
fashion to generate true complex conjugate roots but I'm not sure it's a
good to rely on np.poly to make some "smart conjugate detection". In the
new polynomial package I'm not sure this is even implemented (
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/master/numpy/polynomial/polynomial.py#L127).
From my unexerced eye, the code of
numpy.polynomial.polynomial.polyfromroots and numpy.poly looks very
different

Anyway, I would feel better adding calls to np.real *after* calling
zpk2tf (s) inside signal.iirfilter :
a =  np.real(a)
b = np.real(b)
at
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/blob/master/scipy/signal/filter_design.py#L638

Other option is to call np.real *inside* zpk2tf but this makes the
restrictive assumption  that zpk2tf should only manipulate real filters.

What do others think ?

best,
Pierre