[SciPy-Dev] Like to participate in scipy.signals

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers@gmail....
Wed Jan 23 16:21:11 CST 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Surya Kasturi <suryak@ieee.org> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I am Surya, Electronics Engineering Student with CS background. I see that
> you are one of the maintainers<https://github.com/scipy/scipy/blob/master/doc/MAINTAINERS.rst.txt> of
> Scipy.Signals for which I am thinking to contribute some code (in Python)!
>
> As I am a newcomer to Opensource development and writing production level
> code, I am wondering if you could help me a bit in starting things out
> initially. Currently I am not really having any new ideas to pick up and
> deliver modules.. So, I am very open to pick up any assigned tasks or start
> with small stuff!
>
> Also, I have gone through some bugs in Signals module (#980 #928).
> However, as I am fairly new to the whole system, it would be great if you
> can provide some tips/ pointers etc for starting off. (Please let me know
> if there is any other interesting stuff I can do)

Hi Surya, I had a look through the current scipy.signal tickets for ones
that would be not too complex to get started with:
#1621: a suggestion for performance improvement of fftconvolve(), with a
patch that can be adapted. Would need some benchmarking for different size
input arrays.
#1637: extra normalization option for lombscargle(). Would be useful and
not too hard probably.
#1448: bug that should be straightforward to fix.
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/337: some pending improvements that
could use a check, especially of change 4 (use of rfftn). Testing with
various shapes/values of input would be good to do there.

That hopefully gives you somewhere to start. I recommend to just dive in.
Once you make some pull requests on Github you'll quickly get a feel for
what's required of code added to scipy in terms of code style, tests,
documentation, etc.

Cheers,
Ralf