[SciPy-Dev] Updating SciPy-Central Website

Andreas Hilboll lists@hilboll...
Thu Jan 24 10:10:47 CST 2013

> After discussing some ideas, I consolidated few ideas on SciPy Central
>
> 1. We could improve the design of the site
>
>     1.a) Using Twitter Bootstrap
>     1.b) OR, we can take up scipy.org <http://scipy.org> design template
>     and implement
>
> 2. We could add OpenID feature for the site.
>
> So, what do you say?

How about using this new impetus to redesign the SciPy website as well?
There's a 'new' website at http://scipy.github.com/, the sources are at
https://github.com/scipy/scipy.org-new. The SciPy website itself is
created using Sphinx (http://sphinx-doc.org), and I guess this should
not change (correct me if I'm wrong).

Over the past months, I've seen some quite modern Sphinx themes (apart
from sphinx-doc.org, see e.g.
http://packages.python.org/cloud_sptheme/), and I'm sure for someone
with modern CSS/webdesign skills, it should be easy to create a new
Sphinx theme based on boostrap, which could then at the same time be the
basis for a new scipy-central.org theme.

Also, I recomment to search this mailing list for threads about
scipy.github.org / scipy.org-new and scipy-central, I remember some good
ideas / opinions about general design wishes.

Just my 2 cts.

Cheers, Andreas.