[SciPy-Dev] Updating SciPy-Central Website

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Thu Jan 24 12:52:10 CST 2013

Hi,

24.01.2013 18:10, Andreas Hilboll kirjoitti:
[clip]
> How about using this new impetus to redesign the SciPy website as well?
> There's a 'new' website at http://scipy.github.com/, the sources are at
> https://github.com/scipy/scipy.org-new. The SciPy website itself is
> created using Sphinx (http://sphinx-doc.org), and I guess this should
> not change (correct me if I'm wrong).
>
> Over the past months, I've seen some quite modern Sphinx themes (apart
> from sphinx-doc.org, see e.g.
> http://packages.python.org/cloud_sptheme/), and I'm sure for someone
> with modern CSS/webdesign skills, it should be easy to create a new
> Sphinx theme based on boostrap, which could then at the same time be the
> basis for a new scipy-central.org theme.
>
> Also, I recomment to search this mailing list for threads about
> scipy.github.org / scipy.org-new and scipy-central, I remember some good
> ideas / opinions about general design wishes.

I think the important thing here would be to not lose too much time in
discussion, and just get a first version done, and then we can go on
from that.

Using Bootstrap is likely a good starting point. If some room is
reserved for navigation tools between scipy-central.org, scipy.org,
numpy.org, and docs.scipy.org, and whatnot, that will probably be enough.

On the technical side, Sphinx themes are not too difficult to do, in
general it's possible to do anything.

	Pauli