[SciPy-Dev] Migrating to Markdown Syntax from reStructured Text in SPC

Surya Kasturi suryak@ieee....
Fri Jul 5 08:55:08 CDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM, <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 5:29 AM, Andreas Hilboll <lists@hilboll.de> wrote:
> > On 04.07.2013 11:23, Matthias BUSSONNIER wrote:
> >> Hi all,

> https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.4/ref/contrib/markup/#restructured-text
> >>
> >> But markdown is a superset of HTML… so you implicitly allow to write
> >> html if you switch to MD… but you can sanitize.. (just sayin')

> >> I hope you cache the redered pages…

> site

> >> IPython just switched from PageDown to Marked… it support GFM, and user
> >> are really used to it.

> >> That's funny, a few weeks ago we were saying that markdown was too
> >> restrictive and that
> >> it might be worth fixing rst problem than trying to extend markdown and
> >> switching back to
> >> rst one day… (don't worry, not soon), discussion should have been
> >> recored on youtube.
> >
> > Well, I personally do prefer reST. So if the reST problems were fixed
> > and the notebooks would support reST, then reST would be my favourite
> > SPyCe solution ... But until then, using MD in SPyCe would make the
> > notebook export easier.
>
> Similar here, I'm writing almost only reST these days.
> github allows reSt in the Wiki (without extensions and maybe reduced
> directives), so it should be possible to solve any security issues.
> (github offers a choice of markup)
>
> Josef
>

> > -- Andreas.

Okay.. looks like there are lots of ReST fans here :) No problem, I will
try to find a nice JavaScript Editor for ReSt and integrate it.

And one more thing -- do we need photos' attachment in comments?