[SciPy-Dev] disabling Accelerate on OS X

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers@gmail....
Tue Jun 11 15:09:20 CDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 9:16 PM, Kyle Mandli <kyle.mandli@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any idea what kind of performance decrease is this likely to cause
> (switching from accelerate to OpenBLAS)?  I currently rely on wrapping a
> Fortran routine that uses system_info to find the LAPACK libraries (via
> f2py --link-lapack_opt).

Not necessarily a decrease - on average OpenBLAS seems to be comparable to
MKL and Accelerate, but it probably depends strongly on your application
and your CPU. For example in this thread (
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-science/issues/7) someone finds
OpenBLAS is faster, but on eigenvalue decompositions it's slower.
http://home.uchicago.edu/~skrainka/pdfs/Talk.Eigen.pdf also has a few
benchmarks showing that OpenBLAS performance is similar to MKL.

If you're interested, https://github.com/samueljohn/homebrew-python allows
you to install Numpy and Scipy with OpenBLAS.

Ralf