[SciPy-Dev] disabling Accelerate on OS X

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers@gmail....
Wed Jun 12 01:24:17 CDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 1:50 AM, Jack Howarth <howarth@bromo.med.uc.edu>wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 08:34:31AM +0200, Ralf Gommers wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Given the issues we've been having with Accelerate on OS X 10.7 and 10.8,
> > we plan to disable support for it completely in scipy (and numpy, will
> > bring that up on numpy-discussion later) before the next release.
> >
> > Background:
> > https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/2248
> > https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/2547
> >
> > This will make compiling on OS X harder, but we can't leave functionality
> > giving incorrect results (and ~70 test errors) hang around forever, so we
> > have to do something. We'll do some testing and write up a guide for how
> > build against other BLAS/LAPACK implementations. Homebrew already
> supports
> > OpenBLAS, so that's a good option for who doesn't want to go through
> > compiling their own libraries.
> >
> > Ralf
>
> Ralf,
>    Has any attempt been made to open radar reports for these specific
> regressions
> in recent Accelerate framework releases? Also are these failures limited
> to single
> precision math? Lastly, were these failures introduced with Mac OS X 10.7?
> If so,
> perhaps they are related to the fact that llvm's compiler-rt was being
> used to
> build the Accelerate framework rather than the older libgcc derived math
> calls.
> If a few standalone test cases could be crafted for these Accelerate
> regressions
> detected by scipy, we might well be able to get those fixed for Mac OS X
> 10.9.

In 10.7 it looked like it was only single precision, but for 10.8 there are
also double precision tests that have started failing. llvm-gcc indeed
caused additional issues as well, could be a root cause. For 10.7 Clang and
plain gcc worked fine (except for the Accelerate bugs) while llvm-gcc was
crashing all over the place.

I know there was a bug filed for SDOT in 2009 already,
http://www.macresearch.org/lapackblas-fortran-106#comment-17216, but it
hasn't been fixed. The Apple bug tracker isn't public, so I don't know what
else has been filed.

Getting any fixes for 10.9 that are not already in sounds extremely
unlikely.

Ralf