[SciPy-Dev] regarding reputation system and commenting system of spc

Surya Kasturi suryak@ieee....
Thu Jun 27 10:45:19 CDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 12:21 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 25.06.2013 00:59, Surya Kasturi kirjoitti:
> [clip]
> > 1. Should we have down-vote? (we are not Q&A site)
>
> Regarding scoring, I think this is necessary reading:
>
>      http://www.evanmiller.org/how-not-to-sort-by-average-rating.html
>
> We're all for taking a scientific approach, of course :)
>
> So it seems there needs to be a measure of upvotes, and the amount of
> total attention the package is getting.
>
> Keeping track of upvotes vs. page views or download counts would also
> probably do. The problem with page views and downloads is making sure
> robots are filtered out from the data.
>
> > 2. How to rate Users -- Any scale for providing points
>
> I'm not sure voting users is at all necessary.
>
>  > 3. Should we have points for comments? and should we have downvote?
>
> For comments, I think upvotes are enough to determine positive vs. total
> hits. There should also be an option to "flag" content for moderator
> attention (meaning spam/etc).
>
> --
> Pauli Virtanen

Thanks for the info... couple of questions more..

1. We can link reputation to "Submission" object as a whole or individual
"reputation" objects..
2. Shouldn't one revision object inherit some reputation for previous one??
Its just an improved verion probably (dont' know)..

I have to confess something that I dont technically know how revision code
differ from previous revision..

3. There is some existing unused code
<https://github.com/scipy/SciPyCentral/tree/master/scipy_central/thumbs>which
attached reputation to "submission" object.. This means, all revision
objects have same reputation.

Any input regarding it?

Thanks
Surya