[SciPy-Dev] Sparse Matrix Prototype

Daniel Smith smith.daniel.br@gmail....
Tue Mar 5 10:34:31 CST 2013

Nathaniel Smith <njs <at> pobox.com> writes:

> >> I find the "matrixness" of sparse matrices to be constantly annoying
> >> and a source of tons of special cases in code that wants to handle
> >> both sparse and dense matrices... but it is what it is. If they can't
> >> act like ndarrays, better they act like np.matrix's than like some
> >> weird mash-up of the two. And in particular the key thing for this
> >> indexing example is that we *can't* return a sparse 1-d ndarray-alike,
> >> right, because we have no structure to represent sparse 1-d things?
> >>
> >> -n
> >
> > We have at least one sparse 1-d ndarray like thing in a sparse column
> > vector, a 1xN matrix.
>
> I thought the whole point of your example was that for the given sort
> of indexing, ndarray's return an object with shape (N,) and
> np.matrix's return an object with shape (N, 1), and the question was
> which should sparse matrices do? And my point was that there's no such
> thing as a sparse matrix with shape (N,) so the choice was sort of
> obvious? Maybe I'm just missing something.
>
> -n

A couple more examples might be instructive:

A = np.zeros((5, 5))
B = np.matrix(A)
B[1].shape
    (1, 5)
A[1].shape
    (5, )
B[:, 1].shape
    (5, 1)
A[:, 1].shape
    (5, )
   None
    ValueError: output operand requires a reduction, but reduction is
not enabled

Basically, matrices differentiate between row and column vectors, and
ndarrays don't.

Daniel