[SciPy-Dev] git question: fetch a PR without merging into master

Dave Hirschfeld dave.hirschfeld@gmail....
Tue Mar 5 14:13:43 CST 2013

Warren Weckesser <warren.weckesser <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hey all,Does anyone have a git recipe for grabbing a pull request from github
without merging it into master?  Ideally, I'd like to branch from the same point
the PR branches from master, and not merge the branch back into master.  The use
case is to test pull requests that have merge conflicts.  I'd like to be able to
experiment with the PR, while putting off resolving the merge conflicts until
later.Thanks,Warren

You can checkout pull-requests if you change your config file as described in:

https://gist.github.com/piscisaureus/3342247

...except you'll probably want to change the upstream remote rather than origin.

NB: IIRC I came across this very useful info on on the IPython list

-Dave