[SciPy-Dev] NumPy/SciPy participation in GSoC 2013

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers@gmail....
Mon Mar 25 18:27:35 CDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 10:20 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It is the time of the year for Google Summer of Code applications. If we
> want to participate with Numpy and/or Scipy, we need two things: enough
> mentors and ideas for projects. If we get those, we'll apply under the PSF
> umbrella. They've outlined the timeline they're working by and guidelines
> at
> http://pyfound.blogspot.nl/2013/03/get-ready-for-google-summer-of-code.html.
>

> We should be able to come up with some interesting project ideas I'd
> think, let's put those at
> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/wiki/SummerofCodeIdeas. Preferably with
> enough detail to be understandable for people new to the projects and a
> proposed mentor.
>
> We need at least 3 people willing to mentor a student. Ideally we'd have
> enough mentors this week, so we can apply to the PSF on time. If you're
> willing to be a mentor, please send me the following: name, email address,
> phone nr, and what you're interested in mentoring. If you have time
> constaints and have doubts about being able to be a primary mentor, being a
> backup mentor would also be helpful.

So far we've only got one primary mentor (thanks Chuck!), most core devs do
not seem to have the bandwidth this year. If there are other people
interested in mentoring please let me know. If not, then it looks like
we're not participating this year.

Ralf