[SciPy-Dev] Consensus on the future of integrate.ode

boyfarrell@gmai... boyfarrell@gmai...
Sat Sep 7 02:40:52 CDT 2013

Hello all,

> Perhaps the most important thing is that someone with interest in this
> patiently iterates with this idea, searches consensus in the mailing
> list, write a proposal somewhere if needed, thinks about the proper
> deprecation process with the maintainers, writes the code and, well,
> takes responsibility of this until the very end. I guess it can take
> some months.

I was hoping that we have enough people that we could avoid the Rambo developer phenomenon. Besides this seems to be exactly what we have right now. What I would like to do is find is a group of people that are interested in seeing improvements and working together to fix things.

Remark 1. Maybe we should set a few simple goals? For example, would people be interested in replacing vode with the cvode solver from sundials? This would be a nice improvement. What would you like to see?

Remark 2. I don't understand the problem well enough to design an general new interface that solvers can be connected to. I'm not even sure is this will help. I think someone with more experience writing numerical code could architect something like this.

Best wishes,

Dan