[SciPy-Dev] Scipy 1.0 roadmap

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Sat Sep 21 18:29:14 CDT 2013

22.09.2013 02:12, josef.pktd@gmail.com kirjoitti:
[clip]
> Several parts of scipy have "organically grown", sometimes with
> several competing and incompatible implementations, some parts of the
> code were never reviewed and tested.
>
> IMO, these are the main problems with the current code that need to be
> cleaned up before we can call it a scipy 1.0.

I agree, this is the main issue to be cleaned up before 1.0.

There's some code there that is "research quality" [e.g. O(N^2)
algorithm in a place where there is O(N) alternative and N is often big
in real use cases], incompatible implementations of similar or the same
things, and implementations that are missing commonly needed things.
We've slowly sorted some of this crap out in the last few years, but
there remains still a number of things to fix. Those that we remembered
about are listed in the roadmap proposal.

--
Pauli Virtanen