[SciPy-Dev] Scipy 1.0 roadmap

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers@gmail....
Sun Sep 22 03:52:53 CDT 2013

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 7:52 AM, Christopher Jordan-Squire
<cjordan1@uw.edu>wrote:

> For scipy stats, is there anything on the table regarding somehow
> unifying the sampling in numpy.random and the distributions in
> scipy.stats? I'm specifically thinking of two issues:
>
> (1) There's a lot of duplication between numpy.random and scipy.stats
> but with different interfaces. This seems like something that ideally
> would be reduced.

numpy.random only provides sampling and only has about half the
distributions of scipy.stats. Sampling is really only a small part of what
scipy.stats provides (pdf, cdf, moments, fitting a distribution, etc.). So
I'm not bothered by that duplication. If we'd want to reduce it I think it
would have to be removed from numpy, which doesn't sound like a good idea.

> (2) The interface for the distributions in scipy.stats seems to
> explicitly be for scalar random variables, so there's no multivariate
> normals, multinomials, dirichlet, wishart, etc.. Instead the sampling
> is in numpy.random, and pdf's aren't there.

Two days ago PR-2726 was merged, which adds a multivariate normal
distribution. Others can be added. IIRC there has been an enhancement
ticket for wishhart somewhere and there's a Python implementation floating
around somewhere.

Cheers,
Ralf