[SciPy-Dev] Voting functionality on scipy central

Surya Kasturi suryak@ieee....
Sun Sep 22 12:51:22 CDT 2013

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 4:09 AM, Sebastián Ventura <lomegor@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 20 September 2013 19:32, <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Surya Kasturi <suryak@ieee.org> wrote:
>> > Hi there,
>> >
>> > At this time, we thought of giving a relook to Reputation system we
>> built
>> > for SciPy Central. There are some of design decisions that have to be
>> looked
>> > into
>> >
>> > 1. Should new revisions carry on reputation of previous revision?
>> >
>> > or
>> >
>> > 2. Should we attach reputation to "Submission" as a whole or each
>> "Revision"
>> > individually?
>>
>> What is reputation based upon? Does it update automatically over time?
>>

> Reputation is based on votes by logged in people. There will be an up
> arrow and a down arrow on revisions.
>
> Personally, I believe the best solution would be to have reputation be a
> field on revisions that gets copied (from the last revision) when a new
> revision is created for the same submission. But after the new revision is
> created, it is no longer linked to the past revision (so both of them can
> be voted separately).
>
> This idea is quite different. Could you please tell me why is that only
last revision should carry on reputation? If there are 3 revisions, should
3rd rev carry reputation of 1 and 2 or only 2?

> Sebastian
>

>> I would prefer carrying over reputation across revisions, as long as
>> ancient reputation doesn't have a full influence forever.
>>
>> another possibility is to give the submitter a choice whether to carry
>> over reputation. Assuming revisions don't make code much worse, but
>> might be a large improvement.
>>
>> Josef
>>

>> > Thanks

I think we need to be a bit clear as to when a new revision is usually
created.
1. Does new revisions are made making some minor changes?  or
2. Does revisions are made only if there is change in functionality of work?

More generally, what kind of changes are made usually in revisions?

If the changes are very minor and latest revision is almost same as
previous revision, its totally fine to carry on the reputation.
But if there were any major, significant changes in latest revision, we
never know which one is better until another user votes.

Thanks
Surya