[SciPy-Dev] Scipy 1.0 roadmap - integrate

boyfarrell@gmai... boyfarrell@gmai...
Sun Sep 22 20:19:40 CDT 2013

Dear list,

There was some discussion on how to improve integrate recently mostly focused around the ode solvers,
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.scientific.devel/18150

I'll summarise the changes we want to make here,

1) Improve the interface to integrate.ode.
	- see the suggestion here, https://gist.github.com/danieljfarrell/6482713

2) Make integrate.odeint a functional wrapper around integrate.ode.
	- For the functional version we can use the MATLAB concept of 'events' to specify time points at which the solution can be exported.

3) Update the integrate.ode solvers (from Sundials via scikits.odes)
	- replace VODE with CVODE (a version written in C with many improvements)
	- add CVODES (CVODE + simultaneous corrector methods)
	- add IDA (similar to MATLAB's ode15s, also has the option for solving DAEs)

Points 1 and 2 are fairly standard, however point 3 generated lots of discussion i.e. do we use sundials, scikits.odes, petsc4py... as the basis of the new module? petsc4py would allow solving ODEs in parallel and has a huge array of solvers. But I think in the end it was decided that scikits.odes would be a better starting point because of the lower complexity. Plus it already wraps the Sundials suite and is actively maintained.

Best wishes,

Dan