[SciPy-user] sfftw problem during build

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Sun Sep 23 16:15:27 CDT 2001

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, you wrote:
> I am trying to install  SciPy-0.1 from source on an i386 linux distro
> with python 2.1.  I installed fftw per the instructions with :
>
> # configure --enable-i386-hacks --enable-threads
> # make install
> # make clean
> # configure --enable-threads --enable-float --enable-i386-hacks
> # make install
>
> and have the following in /usr/local/lib:
>   /usr/local/lib/libfftw.la          /usr/local/lib/librfftw.la
>   /usr/local/lib/libfftw_threads.a   /usr/local/lib/librfftw_threads.a
>   /usr/local/lib/libfftw_threads.la  /usr/local/lib/librfftw_threads.la

The sfftw libraries are made by the fftw build process.

The --enable-float should build them.

I'm not sure why in your case it is not building them.  Perhaps doing
--enable-float first would work.

> I am assuming the sfft libs are the SWIG wrappers for the fftw libs.
> But in any case, I have no libsfft* anwhere on my system, and can't
> find anyway to build them

No, the sfft libraries are the single-precision fftw libraries.  SciPy
expects you to have built them.

Other users have reported successful builds with the commands:

         in .../src/fftw
         ./configure  --enable-type-prefix
         make
         make install
         make clean
         ./configure  --enable-float --enable-type-prefix
         make
         make install

         and it's the  --enable-float that builds the single precision library

Good luck,