[SciPy-user] call plt.image from a wx GUI?

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Thu Aug 1 11:23:59 CDT 2002

    <Importing wxPython...  done.>

    AF> Now the GUI starts without tying up the command line.

    AF> I'd like the GUI to display some data in another window, so it
    AF> calls plt.image(scaled_data,None,None,colormap,'no') which
    AF> hangs.

    AF> A simple call to plt.plot([1,2,3],[4,5,6]) does that same.

I thought that this used to work.  There is obviously some threading
issue here.  Check to see if a proxied class is really created when
you call the plt.plot function.  It could also be that a proxied class
is not created because the call is executed inside a proxy event.  And
once the function call is done there is a threading problem.  I guess
what I'm saying doesnt make any sense to you.  Its just that
gui_thread can get fairly complex.  I ran a test case and got
segfaults when I created a plot but the segfault occured only when I
closed the window.  Wierd.  I dont have the time now to check it out.
If I do get to doing it I'll see.  However for now you can use the
plot code from your code by doing something like so:

     def __init__(self, blah, blah):

        # add this next line somewhere in your constructor or whereever
        # you pack your gui elements.
        self.plotter = plt.plot_canvas(self, size=wxSize(250,250),
                                       title="Slicer")

     def plot(self, x, y):
        """ Use this to plot. """
        self.plotter.line_list.data = []
        lines = []
        lines.extend(plt.lines_from_group((x,y)))
        for i in lines:
            self.plotter.line_list.append(i)
        self.plotter.update()

This way you use the basic widget from the plt code inside yours and
all this code should be proxied properly.

I'll try and understand the gui_thread issue when I get some spare
time.

cheers,
prabhu