[SciPy-user] Re: [Numpy-discussion] Sparse matrices

eric jones eric at enthought.com
Thu Aug 1 15:08:01 CDT 2002

I have never used PETSc, but have looked at it before and just took
another look.  It looks like a very comprehensive and powerful library.

One of the main issues of adding something like PETSc to SciPy would be
the huge build complexity that comes with it.  It is a very large
library with Unix centric build tools that require cygwin on windows.
Trying to cram this into distutils would be, ahem..., unpleasant.

The second issue is its emphasis on parallel solvers and the complexity
that this adds, both for building software and for developing it.
Parallel libraries typically have multiple extra parameters for
communicators, process_id, etc. to many of their functions.  Also,
usually multiple calls are needed to scatter/assemble vectors, matrices,
etc. for parallel algorithms.  This stuff is all necessary for parallel
stuff, but being burdened with it in a serial library like SciPy adds to
development time.

SuperLU has a fairly large user base, is small relative to PETSc, and
has a good reputation for performance.  It, or something like it, fits
better into the modular approach that SciPy has.

That said, PETSc has probably conquered a number of the hairy parallel
issues that show up in vector/matrix solvers.  Perhaps it would form a
solid foundation for a parallel version of SciPy that works with pyMPI?
(Scalapack has proven difficult to wrap in the past).  I'm glad to hear
that there is an effort underway to make it Python accessible.  Is there
a list to follow this development?  I'd be interested in watching it.

eric

On
> Behalf Of Paul LE TEXIER
> Sent: Friday, August 02, 2002 3:07 AM
> To: scipy-user at scipy.net
> Cc: Paul.letexier at cea.fr
> Subject: [SciPy-user] Re: [Numpy-discussion] Sparse matrices
>
> May be its stupid, but why don't you use PETSc ?
> I think there is a lot of VERY good thinks in this framework,
> not only for hight performance computations !
>
> In a near future (ask people from ANL/PETSc) we will have
> a PETSc componant (cf. cca-forum.org Common Componant Architecture)
> using SIDL (Scientific Interface Description Language).
> So many PETSc should be available (even Python !).
>
> Have a lice day.
>
> Greetings,
> Paul
>
> eric jones a écrit :
>
> > No one has worked on the sparse stuff as far as I'm aware, so the
sparse
> > package in scipy is more a place holder than an implementation.  I
> > thought there were some licensing issues, but, looking at the
SuperLU