[SciPy-user] SciPy02 update -- Registration, BoFs, and Lighting Talks

eric jones eric at enthought.com
Mon Aug 5 17:52:43 CDT 2002

Hey crew,

Registration:

It looks like about 30 of the registered attendees have paid.  If you
haven't already done so, please do this as soon as possible.

http://www.scipy.org/site_content/scipy02/scipy02_pay.htm

BoFs:

We currently only have one BoF planned.  It is for astronomy.  We should
really have more of these -- especially on the bioinformatics side of
the house.  Please send me a topic if you are interested in leading the
discussion.

Lightning Talks:

As far as lighting talks go, we have 7 confirmed, and two more potential
talks.  I am still interested in more talks, so send me topics if you
have them.  The format will be 10-15 minutes per talk.  LCD data
projectors will be available for computer based presentations.  You can
also give a "chalk talk" on overheads or on a white board (I assume we
will have one...).  This is not a "formal" setting, so don't feel that
you need a spit and polished presentation (although those are welcome
too...).  Workshops are all about the exchange of information to
stimulate discussion.  If you have a project/topic that will do that,
send it my way.

Here are the talks I have confirmed:

PyMOL -- A Molecular Visualization tool.
Warren DeLano

Molecular Visualization
Justin Gullingsrud

PyQuante -- An open-sourced quantum chemistry suite written in Python
Rick Muller

Integrating Python into monolithic legacy Fortran codes
Robert Ferrell

Analyzing X-ray astrophysics data with Python
(www.xassist.org)
Andrew Ptak

Weather vs. ground echo discrimination in radar data with a Numeric
based fuzzy logic package.
Joe Van Andel

Biggles -- A scientific plotting package for Python
Michael Nolta

If Fernando Perez is able to attend, he'll give a couple of talks, one
on iPython, a interactive python shell for scientists, and the other on
MayaVi, a 3D visualization tool based on VTK written by Prabhu
Ramachandran.

Thanks,
eric